Indie Knit and Spin

IKS is this weekend!  Come check it out if you live anywhere around the Pittsburgh area.  Should be a rollicking good time!
GwenErin banner 2013

Advertisements

Knit the Bridge – the patterns

knit the bridge
A special collection of patterns made to commemorate the Knit the Bridge community-wide yarn bombing in Pittsburgh, PA (2013). Includes a super warm mitten pattern with a fingerless mitt option, a warm and woolie winter headband, and an earflap hat pattern with optional topper.
ktbmosaic
Yarn: Cosymakes Snapdragon Worsted (preferably one of the exclusive Knit the Bridge Colorways) 250(275, 295) yd [228.6(251.5, 269.7) m] for the mittens, 135 yd (123.4 m) for the headband, 100(120, 140, 175, 200, 215) yd [91.4(109.7, 128, 160, 182.9, 196.6) m] for the earflap hat

Needles: US size 8 and 9 [5 and 5.5 mm] for the mittens, US size 10.5 [4.5 mm] for the headband, US size 7 [4.5 mm] for the earflap hat

Gauge: 4 sts/in. [2.5 cm] on larger needle, with yarn doubled for the mittens, 7.5 sts/2 in. with yarn doubled for the headband, 5 sts/in. [2.5 cm] for the earflap hat

Sizes: 7 (8, 9) in. [17.8 (20.3, 22.9) cm] around for the mittens, one size – 19.5 in. [49.5 cm] long, not including tail, 5 in. [12.7 cm] wide for the headband, and Finished hat circumference 14.5(16.5, 18.5, 19.5, 20.5, 21.5) in. [36.8(42, 47, 49.5, 52.1, 54.6) cm]

When you click on the button below and follow through on the payment, a 10 page automatic download in pdf format will be delivered to your email address.

On Ravelry here. Or you can purchase each pattern separately for $4 each: Mittens, Headband, Earflap Hat
knit the bridge!

Knit the Bridge!

If you haven’t checked out this awesome Pittsburgh community-wide yarn bombing – please do!  I believe it will be perhaps the largest yarn bombing… ever?  Click here to check it out.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
It has been a pretty awesome community fiber arts project to be involved with. So even though I didn’t knit any panels, I did do some designing and dyeing for them.  The designs and the yarn are now available in this indiegogo campaign. Also, cool t-shirts and other fun stuff.

p.s. here’s a summer newsletter!

april @ the studio

it is the last month at the studio!  check out what is happening here.  there’s lots going on.  you can also expect to see a (baby) sweater design workshop towards the end of the month (probably the 27th). clearly we are going out with a BANG!

one very special event is the re-skeining of the exclusive Knit the Bridge colorways that i (and a few friends) dyed… happening on the 14th.  good stuff.  i hope if you haven’t made it to the studio yet, you can come to one of these events.  plenty of them are just of the knitting/chatting/spinning sort.
Knit the Bridge Exclusive Colorway
Knit the Bridge Exclusive Colorway
you can also read this month’s newsletter here.

march at the studio

the march newsletter can be read here

Open Studio
March 1st, 4-8, FREE
Come knit, spin, chat and/or shop.

Open Studio Class, 5:30-6:30 (offered during open studio in another room) drop in
$5 or free with a yarn purchase

Come learn how to attach a simple garter stitch edging to a piece of knitting. This will get you ready to do any edging, lacy or otherwise. Same basic principle.
handspun pinwheel

Open Studio
March 10, 2-6 – FREE
Come knit, spin, chat and/or shop.

Open Studio Class, 2:30-3:30 – (offered during open studio in another room) drop in
$5 or free with a yarn purchase

Come enjoy the yoga stylings of knitter and yogini Sharon Rudyk of Yoga Matrika. We will be emphasizing stretches designed to get knitters limbered up and knitting better than ever!

March 15, 16, 17 – Pittsburgh Knit and Crochet Festival
Where I will be teaching Embroidery on Knitting and Beginning Spinning – Drop Spindle.
on my favorite drop spindle...

Because of the classes I am teaching at Pgh Knit and Crochet, I am not teaching at the Studio this month. You can look forward to more classes in April. I am planning to at least have a drop spindle class in April – I have several folks interested. If you are interested, please let me know!! That way I can coordinate all of us and find a time that works for everyone.

I am sad to announce the closing of the studio at the end of April. It is the end of an era, but don’t worry! I’ll have my home studio set up for people to come buy yarn and I am planning to teach at Crazy Mocha in Squirrel Hill. I have had enough people still want to take classes that I thought it was worth it. If you have a class you’d like to take from me, please let me know and once I have a couple of people, I’ll put it on the schedule! Classes coming soon: Beginning Spinning on a Drop Spindle, Baby Sweater Design, Baby Surprise Jacket, and Cast ons and Bind offs.